He is asking how people who want
- government to regulate women's reproductive systems
- government to prevent people living in agony with terminal diseases from choosing to end their own lives
- government to decide which substances people can imbibe
- government to prevent doctors from prescribing medical marijuana to help retching chemotherapy patients stay alive
- the government gutting the Fourth Amendment protection against searches and seizures without a warrant
- laws controlling who consenting adults are allowed to sleep with
- laws controlling who they're allowed to marry
- laws controlling if they can use birth control
- a Republican Congress passing legislation intervening in Terri Schiavo's family medical tragedy
They talk about less taxation, less spending, less regulation, and less government ownership of industries. "When Republicans like Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush come to power, they actually spend more than Democrats (who aren't terribly liberal, but leave that aside), by far. Reagan tripled the national debt in eight years, and Bush doubled it again, from $5.5 trillion to $11 trillion. The only real difference these days is that so-called conservatives use big spending for purposes of funneling money to cronies like Halliburton or Exxon-Mobil, while so-called liberals do a bit less of the same, and maybe also throw a bone or two to the middle class every once in a while.
"On the social side, however, the conservative trope about theirs being the ideology of freedom is a total joke and an ugly lie. These are the people who want the government in your underpants, who want the government reading your mail without a warrant, who want to control who you sleep with and who you marry, and who even want to force you to live in agony when you just want to crawl off and die. These are the people who stood in the doorways blocking the movements for racial and sexual equality.
I will take the liberal view of America over the conservative view any day of the week.