Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Grind

Some things never seem to end. Another plumbing adventure reared its ugly head over the last few days. My last experience did not go well, although the issues were finally resolved. The garbage disposal decided not to run any more. When you are use to dumping everything from dirty pots, pans, bowls, and dishes into the sink, it puts a serious cramp in your dishwashing style when the disposal is not working

It acted like it was stuck. I would turn it on and the motor would hum, but it would not turn. I could turn it manually, but it was difficult. I felt around inside and didn't feel anything. This exhausted my plumbing/garbage disposal experience. I figured that something was messed up inside of it, so I did what seemed like the next best thing -- bought a new garbage disposal and called a plumber.

Even though my last plumbing experience was resolved more or less satisfactory, I decided it was time to try someone local. The previous plumbers I called were from a large multi-state company. This time I went to a list of members of our local city chamber of commerce and selected a plumber from there. There were two listed. I called the one that was closest to the house. He said that he would be over later that afternoon between 5 and 6. 5 and 6 came and went. I never heard from him again.

The next day I called plumber number 2. He said that he could come the following day between 12 and 1. Sure enough, he showed up between 12 and 1. Took a quick look at the garbage disposal. Reached in with a pair of pliers and pulled out a fairly hefty chuck of wire. Turn on the water. Turned on the garbage disposal. Everything worked prefect.

I said thanks. He said you're welcome. He was in and out in less than 10 minutes. That's what I call a great visit from a plumber.

That is also the plumber I will call next time -- and I know there will be a next time.

4 comments:

  1. Yay.......

    What a pleasant story!!

    Last month my brand new environmentally efficient furnace started leaking. My tenant is from Puerto Rico and they don't have furnaces there.

    I call the company since I have a 5 year warranty..

    The man comes it was the filter in the Humidifier. I'm a typical woman .. I did not know it had to be taken out and clean. It was so dirty it was leaking water... after 7 years.

    I was not covered for this but he only charge me 35.00 for the part. And he was grateful for the great Puerto Rican Coffee I made for him that my tenant have given me.

    The weird thing is every time someone comes here.. they tell me something that is going on in their personal life that they felt the need to get out. This happens to me in taxi cabs and everywhere...(men and women) LOL. (I am a Mother Hen I think).

    Please also give us an Update on your grandchild from time to time. I'm keeping her in my Prayers (Agnostics pray too). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I said thanks. He said you're welcome. He was in and out in less than 10 minutes. That's what I call a great visit from a plumber."

    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LiLu - ROTFLMAO I sure left myself open for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll skip the cheap jokes, but point out that it looks like you've found a reliable tradesman.

    ReplyDelete