Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Party Is Over

Each Christmas we have a party for our friends. We have been doing this for the past 25 years or so. My wife plans for this party all year long. It is a tremendous amount of work. Each year I tell her to hire a caterer to help and she says maybe next year. She gets a lot of joy out of it and apparently our guests do also. Several have been coming every year. The party was last night.

I was talking with a couple last night. They were telling me about their oldest daughter going away to college and how the house now seems empty. I reminded them that they started coming to the party before they were married. We went to their wedding. In a way, we have followed a generation of their family though our party. I think that is kind of neat.

It is hard in this day and age keeping connections with people. The party is one way we do it. In the end, maybe it is worth all the effort.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it is worth it.....(whether you cater it or NOT).. it is worth it.....very cool.

    My oldest friend is since I was 11 and she was 10; saw her a few weeks ago............

    She lives in the next state. I feel that she and I don't have much in common; but I do love her and wow.. almost 37 years I known her. LONG TIME.

    I don't drive so nice she makes the effort to see me a few times a year.. or so.

    She is too much a Republican.. and I'm a Democrat. (enjoy your friends.. and a wonderful wife you have for doing the home made cooking which is the BEST) bettyann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth it! I love traditions, especially of the holiday sort... and this sounds like a great one.

    ReplyDelete