Saturday, August 30, 2008

John

Williams, that is. John Williams, probably the best known movie music composer there is -- Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, just to name a few. I went the Hollywood Bowl last night to listen to him. His music is always enjoyable particularly when he is conducting the LA Philharmonic.

Music has always been a big part of my life even though I don't play, write, or sing. My dad was a musician and along with radio and a short stint on TV, he worked on a two week contract for over 30 years at the same place. The place changed ownership and name a few times, but he was always there.

He was one of the lucky ones. He always had work. After traveling around the country with a well known band in the 30's and early 40's, he settled down in one place and stayed there for the rest of his life. While working 6 nights a week did not afford my mother much of a social life, it provided a great life for us kids. I was very blessed with a childhood filled with adventure-gaining experiences from both the city during the school year and the country on the weekends and all summer long.

My mom did not have to work. She was always home for us. Now days, she probably would have to work. The music business is not what it use to be.

My dad passed away a number of years ago not long after he retired. He did not really retire. After all, he said that he never worked a day in his life. He would have played for free and often did. Entertaining was enough pay. The money was extra.

How many of us can say that about the work we do today? I'm betting not many.

I miss my dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment