Sunday, May 31, 2009

Devine Dining and Other Activities


Friday night one of my daughters and son-in-law took me out to dinner at Mozza for an early Father's Day present. Mozza is an upscale restaurant on Melrose near Hollywood. One of the owners is Mario Batali who has several restaurants around the country and spends a lot of time on the Food Network.

It is not the kind of restaurant or neighborhood that I usually frequent. I prefer smaller, more intimate, neighborhood restaurants with good food, but it doesn't have to be fancy food. I like the little places that not too many people know about. They are usually quieter and not so crowded. If the food is good, you have got me as a regular customer.

That being said, I must admit that the dinner at Mozza was one of the best I have had in a long time. I would definitely go back again, even if I have to pay for it. I had a butter lettuce salad that melted in my mouth and a grilled quail that was seasoned to perfection. The dessert was bombolini, vanilla gelato with huckleberry sauce and donut holes. (They called the donut holes something else in Italian, but whatever you call them, they are still donut holes.) We started off with an Italian sparking wine, and then had a Sicilian red with dinner. I am sure it cost a small fortune but my SIL makes a bazzion dollars, so he can afford it. Actually, I would have gladly paid for it myself because it was so good.

That's been the excitement in Critterland for the last couple of weeks, except for all the street repairs that have been going on. Nothing like waking up to a front-end loader backing up your street early in the morning. Beep Beep Beep. Of course early for me in 7 am, so I know I am not going to get much simpathy from most of you out there. You are probably on your way to work by that time.

Mrs Critter went back to the doctor last Thursday and got a clean bill of health. The wrist is all healed up and she can climb back up on chairs again. I said that to the doctor after he said that she was all healed, and he did not see the humor in it. Oh well, we did not go to him for his sense of humor.

The oldest grandson fell off his bike last week and ended up with 7 stitches in his chin. This isn't some little kid. He is a college student and 20 years old. It happened about 10 pm and he was at the emergency room until about 3 am in the morning. His mother's comment was "Aren't you glad you are going to college fulltime so that you have health insurance. Otherwise you would have had to pay for the emergency room." Of course this was after spending 5 hours in the emergency room with him because when you fall and bust open your chin ( and bite you tongue, scrap up your cheek and arm) you call your Mommy, no matter how old you are.

So that's what's been going on.

1 comment:

  1. The dinner sounded divine..

    Stitches.. and I was thinking of biking again.....and I hate helmets..

    yikes...

    HAPPY pre-DADDY DAY.............. !!!

    ReplyDelete